I have been asked this question several times so I thought it would be beneficial to post some information about the subject. To avoid making your ‘legitimate’ email being identified as Spam, pay attention to the following recommendations:
- avoid sending email to a large number of recipients
- avoid attaching any file in mass mailings
- avoid using highly formatted text especially with colored headings.
- do not USE ‘ALL CAPS’ FOR MORE THAN THE OCCASIONAL WORD.
- do not use background graphics or logos.
- avoid using ‘sales patter’ e.g. Hot Deal, Special Offer.
- avoid using ‘rude language’
University websites often provide useful information on the subject.
Specifically, people ask how many recipients to include with mass mailings, as spam filters could use this as a criteria. Unfortunately I have not found data on this, so I would love to hear your recommendations. What else do you do to avoid being marked as SPAM?